Pie season is upon us and what better way to get started than to make a delicious pie that's packed with nourishment to help you feel your best.
If there is only one tip I could give you as a Registered Private Nutritionist (ANutr), is to add more plants into your diet.
Plants are packed with the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that support your body to function optimally. Fibre is another important component of plants most of us need more of. Fibre is highly satiating and does wonders for your gut.
This mouth-watering chickpea and feta filo pie contains six different plants, it's a delicious way to up the quality of your diet, without braking the bank.
CHICKPEA & FETA FILO PIE
Serves 2 (with leftovers)
-1 medium white onion, finely chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or use garlic press
-1 red bell pepper, cored & deseeded, finely diced
-400g canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
-1 teaspoon ras el hanout
-1 heaped tablespoon harissa paste
-400g can or carton finely chopped tomatoes
-50g feta, crumbled or whipped
-Large handful of parsley, roughly chopped
-2 sheets of ready rolled filo pastry
-2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C/ gas mark 4.
2. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick large pan (with a lid), sauté the onion and garlic on medium heat until you sweat the onions (5-8 mins).
3. Add the pepper and cook for a few more minutes, making sure to mix everything well often to avoid catching.
4. Add the chickpeas, then the ras el hanout and harissa paste, mix well. Cook for a minute or two then add the chopped tomatoes, put the lid on and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
5. Take the pie filling off heat, let it cool down for 5 minutes before adding crumbled or whipped feta and the parsley. Note: I crumbled the feta, but next time I would definitely whip the feta in a blender for a more creamy filling.
6. Transfer the filling into a medium oven dish and use a wooden spoon to smooth out the mixture.
7. Spray your ready-rolled filo pastry sheets with spray oil, make sure it's all covered well. Shred each sheet into 3 pieces. Scrunch the filo sheets one at a time on top of the pie filling until it's all covered.
8. Place the pie in the oven for 20 minutes or until the filo pastry is nice and golden.
9. Take out of the oven and enjoy.
Iman Hassan (BSc, ANutr)
Registered Private Nutritionist
Weight management specialist
If you need support managing your weight through better nutrition and lifestyle book your complimentary discovery call TODAY!